In view of the direction of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in the mater of “University of Kerala V/S Council, Principals, Colleges and others” in SLP no. 24295 of 2006 dated 16.05.2007 and that dated 8.05.2009 in Civil Appeal number 887 of 2009, and in consideration of the determination of the Central Government and University Grants Commission to prohibit, prevent and eliminate the scourge of ragging including any conduct by the student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student or asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other students, with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other students, in all higher education institutions in the country, and thereby, to provide for the healthy development, physically and psychologically, of all students, the BCCM, Bhubaneswar lays down the following Rules & Regulations.
WHAT CONSTITUTES RAGGING?
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other students.
- Indulging in rowdy or indisciplined activities by any student or students, which cause or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do any which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any student or a fresher.
- Exploiting the service activity of any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variant of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student.
- Any act that affect the mental health an self-confidence of a fresher or nay other student with or without any intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher of any other student.
MEASURES FOR PREVENTION OF RAGGING AT THE INSTITUTE LEVEL:
- Formation of Anti Ragging Committee
- Director, Admn. & Vice Principal
- Telephone No. of all concerned person
- Faculty in-charge / Mentor
- Student Advisor / buddy
- Hostel Warden
- Hostel Superintendent
- Affidavit by the Students at the time of admission
- Affidavit by Parents / Guardian
ACTION TO BE TAKEN BY THE HEAD OF THE INSTITUTION
On receipt of any information concerning any reported incident of ragging, the Head of Institution shall immediately determine if a case under the penal laws is made out and if so, either on his own or through a member of the Anti-Ragging Committee authorized by him in this behalf, proceed to file a First Information Report (FIR), within twenty four hours of receipt of such information or recommendation, with the police and local authorities, under the appropriate penal provisions.
DETAILS OF PUNISHMENT
The Institution shall punish a student found guilty of ragging after following the procedure and in the manner prescribed here in under:
- The Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution shall take an appropriate decision, in regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging established in the recommendations of the Anti-Ragging Squard.
- The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt, award, those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely,
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges
- Withholding / withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test / examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension / expulsion from the hostel
- Cancellation of admission
- Rustication from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
- Where the persons committing or abetting the act of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.